Celebrating Marianne Madoré

Marianne Madoré

Marianne Madoré (she/her) was a 2021-2023 fellow based at the LaGuardia Community College while pursuing her Ph.D. in Sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center. 

At LaGuardia Community College, Marianne first spent time reading what students had to say about their Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) experiences. From there, she designed new tools to assess students’ learning outcomes and worked with faculty to introduce COIL-specific learning objectives. She is currently developing an interview-based research project to understand how the Global Learning Competency is taught at LaGuardia and has presented preliminary findings at the Comparative and International Education Society (CIES) meeting in February 2023. In April 2023, Marianne collaborated with her peer fellows, Oriana Mejías Martínez and Sharanya Dutta, as well as the Reclaim the Commons Coalition to organize a teach-in with CUNY activists and archivists on historical examples of student organizing at our shared university, titled CUNY Struggles Across Generations.

Reflecting on the fellowship, Marianne says, “[the HA fellowship] has helped me move forward my dissertation research in unexpected and exciting ways. I have also met wonderful people through this fellowship, I am really grateful for their brilliance and our comradeship.”

We celebrate her brilliance and creativity, her tenacity and compassion, and the many ways she has been there for her colleagues during a pandemic and its aftermath. She showed both a willingness to learn and understand the systems and cultures that define these academic spaces and a generosity to contribute her own experiences and interests. 

Thank you, Marianne!